Spike's Journal

Being the ramblings of Revan "Spike" Alleyspawn, about his misadventures in what he believes to be the World's Largest Dungeon.

Coldeven 6: Haven (Day 4)

This is a prison, and there is no easy way out.

I'm tempted to make that the last entry, as it seems unlikely that anyone other than other prisoners of this horrible place will ever read it. But there isn't enough to fill the empty hours while we recover from our trials, and this helps me put my thoughts in order.

Sper has lead us to her allies, and they are impressive, if frightening. They say they are of the Eladrin, which seems to mean something to Asilky, but to me they appear to be animals combined with men. But despite how weird they are, they seem to have a lot of power, and claim to have been here for thousands of years.

Apparently this whole place is a prison, built by the gods, to contain things too evil to walk among mortals. The Eladrin and a variety of other beings that Asilky calls "Celestials" acted as jailers, working in concert with another group ominously named "the Inevitables".

Apparently a recent series of earthquakes has caused trouble, releasing certain things from their prisons, destroying barriers that are supposed to prevent movement of the prisoners, and weakening the "wards" which are supposed to contain all this evil.

Now, I'm a simple guy, I stick to Spike's Cardinal Rule, and I expect others to do the same. Good and Evil, as I've said, are mostly just labels applied to what I see as either excessively short-term or excessively long-term thinking. I've met people who are called "Evil", and I got along with them just fine. But apparently, this isn't like that at all. Apparently, this is the kind of evil that gets under your skin and makes you into something horrible. Not stealing other people's stuff and killing anyone who gets in your way horrible, but "Let's eat babies" horrible.

A lot of people think I'm not a very good person, but I really don't want to lose that much perspective.

Anyway, the Celestial named Keylara, who is apparently the leader, can't help us much, but has proved amenable to striking a deal. She'll give us aid and comfort if we can find some things that they've lost called "Ward Staves". The evil creatures running around have accounted for killing lots of the Celestial's numbers, and those that are left are very busy, and no longer know the wearabouts of the staves.

In addition, if they're not found, evil forces could apparently destroy them, resulting in the release of some nasty stuff which will add to our woes. I'm not sure that'd be enough for me to want to take this on, but the promise of allies and payment makes the difference for me.

I guess, cautiously, that things are looking up.